Thursday, February 9, 2017

Important Things

For work, I had to travel to San Antonio, Texas last week.  My air route took me from leaving Maui, Hawaii at 2:38pm to Oahu, Hawaii (1/2 hr.).  Next leg was Oahu to Atlanta, Georgia leaving at 5:40pm (8 hrs.).  Last leg was Atlanta to San Antonio, Texas leaving at 8:35am (2 hr.)  I am resolved that to get anywhere from Hawaii takes a long time. Air travel is what it is.  As much as I have traveled, I still get anxious on the plane.  This trip was no different. It was a week long conference and I was set to return on Sunday.  My 8:00am flight to Los Angeles was delayed to 1:00 pm.  Then possibly delayed again to 4:40pm.  There were people waiting at the gate from 6:00am in the morning.  A lot of us would miss our connecting flights to HOME.  A lot frayed nerves and impatient flyers.  Poor gate agent.
THEN, an amazing and energizing thing happened.  I was sitting and facing the tarmac listening to everyone complaining and trying to see when we all would get out of San Antonio.  It started with one person clapping, I thought it was a sarcastic gesture, but soon more and more people started clapping.  When I turned around, there were a group of soldiers walking through the airport and the people in our staging area were clapping for them.  In all of our frustration and anxiety, everyone still put aside all of that to show respect and appreciation to this group of soldiers.  I've seen it posted on Social Media, used in commercials and heard stories.  To be apart of this was an amazing thing. I felt the pride of these young soldiers and the genuine gratefulness of the people clapping.  It made my anxiety on reaching my final destination disappear. 
It renewed my faith in people and energized my pride for this United States. 
I'd like to thank all of the people serving in our Military for the service and sacrifice that you do for our country.  I'd also like to thank my fellow flyers for letting me be apart of this wonderful experience.

God Bless,

No comments:

Post a Comment